Get back to Palermo
The Palatina Chapel, built in 1130 by King Roger II and dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is decorated with beautiful Byzantine mosaics and special Arabic-style paintings. Because of its fusion of styles, it is the symbol of the cultural synthesis effected by the Normans throughout Sicily. The Chapel is located inside the Palazzo dei Normanni, headquarters of the region of Sicily. Works for the construction of the Church of Santa Maria dello Spasimo, instead, began in 1509 but were never completed, despite the fact that the altar housed a beautiful painting by Raphael. Its vault collapsed in about 1700 and, after various restorations, it can now host assorted theatrical performances and open-air musical concerts.